Wright Medical Group

Patient Stories

Submit Your Story

Mary D

The saga of 67-year-old Mary’s left ankle began when she was a 17 year-old senior in high school. During a basketball game, Mary fell and sprained her left ankle. After a trip to the hospital, Mary hobbled away on crutches. It took several months for the pain to go away and would come back again with a vengeance a few years later.

As an active young adult with a love for sports, Mary sprained her ankle several more times playing volleyball, tennis and softball. Fast forward several years and the ligament around Mary’s ankle was stretched and loose so she decided to move forward with a surgery that would repair the torn ligaments and tendons in the ankle.

A few years before the turn of the century, Mary was about 50 years old and had spent her time doing routine things like working, volunteering, staying active and fulfilling her duties as a mother. When the pain reappeared, Mary was determined to “grin and bear it.” She continued to play tennis, softball and other sports that caused her ligaments and tendons to wear away to the point that her ankle bones rubbed together. As the pain progressed, she found herself skipping out on some of her favorite activities or shortening her walks, which had become so painful, people could tell something was wrong by the angle of her gait. For the next 15 years, Mary lived her life in pain.

“One morning in 2013 I woke up and knew it was time to see a doctor. My ankle hurt 24/7, all the time,” said Mary. She scheduled an appointment with Dr. Kelly McCormick at Hope Orthopedics in Salem, Oregon, who suggested two options, both of which she had never heard of. She could move forward with an ankle fusion or she could be implanted with the INBONE™ Total Ankle System.

Mary was nervous to move forward with the total ankle replacement so she initially opted for the ankle fusion. Dr. McCormick then provided her with a boot that simulated the mobility, or lack thereof, that she would have to live with on a fused ankle. After wearing the boot for just one hour, Mary knew that this was not the best option for her.

In October 2013, Mary was implanted with the INBONE™ Total Ankle System on her left foot and was walking without assistance just two months later. When she realized, to her amazement, that the pain in her ankle had disappeared after just ten days, she knew she made the right decision.

Today, Mary has returned to the activities she has always loved, including tennis, and can often be foundplaying basketball with her three grandchildren. “I couldn’t be happier that I decided to get the ankle replaced,” she said.

These results are specific to this individual only. Individual results and activity levels after surgery vary and depend on many factors including age, weight and prior activity level. There are risks and recovery times associated with surgery and there are certain individuals who should not undergo surgery.